The SOAB played a vital role in the development of the Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) which is now the basis for joint activities that focus on implementation. The task of SOAB is to bring the “societal pull” to the research agenda by evaluating joint activities in each phase of their development, implementation and evaluation against societal needs. This type of collaboration between scientists and a broad spectrum of stakeholders is essential to further develop the SRA so that it can provide knowledge-based solutions for European development.
The SOAB also plays a key role in the general public engagement strategy of the JPI MYBL and supports the JPI in building up national stakeholder involvement through its networks. The SOAB collaborates with Science with and for Society (SwafS) and Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) to promote public engagement and stakeholder inclusion in all stages of the research cycle. The SOAB also co-operates with Public Engagement for Innovation in Horizon2020 (PE2020) project.
The SOAB now consists of 14 organisations and of an independent policy adviser.
- European Regions Research and Innovation Network ERRIN, Vice-Chair of SOAB, Anett Ruszanov, Projects Manager
- Design for All Foundations, Francesc Aragall, President
- Council of European Municipalities and Regions , Frédéric Vallier, Secretary General.
- The Confederation of Family Organisations in the European Union (COFACE), Annemie Drieskens, President
- Eurocarers, Hanneli Döhner, Vice President
- European Association for the Education of Adults, Gina Ebner, Secretary General
- European Network for Accessible Tourism, Annagrazia Laura, President
- European Social Network, Sergio Murillo Corzo, Government of Biscay
- European Trade Union Confederation ETUC, Montserrat Mir, Confederal Secretary
- European Hospital and Health Care Federation HOPE, Pascal Garel, Chief Executive
- Hospitality Europe, Carlo Galasso, Secretary General
- Insurance Europe, Esko Kivisaari, Deputy Managing Director, Federation of Finnish Financial Services
- International Society for Gerontechnology, Alexander Peine, Executive Board Member
- Dr Alexandre Sidorenko, Independent Policy Adviser